Sunday, August 12, 2012

Houses

Grace texted this picture to me the other night and it really made me think.  Several years ago Jay took all the kids down to the house where he grew up, so they could see it before it was demolished.  It was a gray stucco house with wooden doors and no paint left around the window casings at all.  At the time, I was really glad that the house I grew up in was still white with brown trim and shutters....even though a renter had done some pretty strange things to the front yard.  Shortly after that, my parents old home started looking pretty bad.  And now, it's gone.  I hear that the present owner began replacing windows and putting up new sheet rock, but could see that the old place was turning into a money pit.  So........so long childhood home.  Good memories in that house and just happy that we have such strong family ties that the memories and good times won't be forgotten.  Jay and I both had the privilege of loving our childhoods, and that is awesome!  Those were the days.  And, home is where your family is, that's for sure.

3 comments:

Bobbi said...

I loved my home growing up and still love thinking about it. It was always cozy and I liked being home. Now I feel that way about my home...cozy and I like being home.

Battfam said...

It's a little weird thinking of the house being nothing but a pile of scrap wood. Like you, I'm glad for the good memories.

Myrnie said...

How sad is that? I think a house is somehow part of us, and we sisters had some good memories in your childhood home too. (Loved the big swing!)